Sunday, November 20, 2011

i'd leave this town if it meant you loved me.

I'm sitting in the backseat of Regine's black Audi, coming back from Chinatown. Ryan is sitting in the front and he's blowing his nose; he's come down with something, probably a cold. Regine's worried as she puts her hand on the stick shift and tells him all the ways to fight it off and how she's going to make us all hot tea when we get to the Animal House.

Ryan's real tired. His head is against the black leather seat and he places his hand over hers on the stick shift. He doesn't argue, but he doesn't want me to see. When they get all cute, they always try to hide it, but it's almost impossible because I am in the backseat.

My eyes are glued to the window outside. The sun is still bright and the brick walls that divide the highway and the homes are blurring past my eyes. I clasp the dirty white bag strap and lay my head back, closing my eyes. I'm getting kind of car sick. Ryan's got this room scent that makes me sick -- I don't really know what it smells like to give it a name.

It's gotten darker now. We're in the same positions as we were earlier today. Now we're leaving from the Animal House. My face is radiating happiness, I had such a good day today. Ryan's still blowing his nose; Regine is driving.

I can't pull myself to look away from the world outside. We're just outside the city, Queens. All of the street lights and building lights are turned on bright and it's something spectacular. "Super Bass" by Nicki Minaj has come on the radio for the umpteenth time today, a strange change of pace from "Mr. Saxobeat" by Alexandra Stan.

The world outside changes from lights and tall buildings to quiet forests and walled-off communities. I'm grabbing onto the door handle as Regine makes a turn. She's not a bad driver, but she's getting angrier with the bad drivers on the road today.

I'm gaining a keener sense for the world, my thumb rubbing over the texture of the handle, every groove and rise, a brand new world.

A world I could never imagine, but a world I so desire.

No comments:

Post a Comment